The Department of Nutrition and BASE supports student achievement by providing healthy meals and high quality, affordable programs that encourage learning and healthy behaviors.
Keeping children nourished, “edutained” and informed.
As part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, new standards have been set for school meals across the nation with a goal of creating healthier meals for kids. The Adams 12 Nutrition Department will be meeting all of the required standards for the 2014-2015 school year, including:
- Offering a variety of fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables daily, with a requirement that EVERY STUDENT takes at least 1 fruit or vegetable at lunch
- More than half of the grains being offered are whole grain rich
- All items have zero grams of trans fats (.5 grams or less) per serving
- Only 1% or fat free milk options are available
In addition to the changes being required by the USDA, Adams 12 is continuing to make improvement to the menu to offer our students fresh, healthy meals, including:
- A fresh salad served daily – varying from a romaine and spinach tossed salad, fresh fruit salad, mandarin asian salad, or many other cold salad options.
- Four different options of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Fresh lettuce and tomato served with all sandwiches, tacos, burgers, and tostadas.
- Continuous expansion of whole grain items as they become available.
- A daily vegetarian entrée.
- Highlighting a fruit or vegetable through the "Harvest of the Month" program with a new recipe each month.
- Continued use of homemade ranch dressing, which began in the '13-14 school year.
- New guidelines set by the Colorado Department of Education for all food sold to students in school goes into effect July 1st 2014. Adams 12 has been proactive in making the shift to meet the "Smart Snack Rule" by ensuring all a la carte items meet the strict nutrition guidelines limiting calories, fat, saturated fat, trans fat, and sugar and sodium content.
- Adams 12 DOES NOT serve Lean Finely Textured Beef (ammonium hydroxide gas). Our current vendor does not use Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB) during the processing of our beef. Adams 12 will continue to opt out on beef that contains LFTB.
- Coronado Hills Elementary, Federal Heights Elementary, North Star Elementary, Northglenn Middle, and Stukey Elementary are now serving Breakfast in the Classroom to every student, every day! The kitchen and school staff are working hard to deliver food to each classroom every morning so students are ready to learn.
- Adams 12 has gone green! Our kitchens have done a wonderful job of reducing landfill waste by using washable trays, flatware in place of plastic silverware, and transitioning from wrapped grab-and-go selections to self-service. We are continuing to make improvements in this area each year.
- Adams 12 partners with a local Food Bank to donate leftover foods from our kitchens.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)
If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Complaint Form, found online at http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.