The Department of Nutrition and BASE supports student achievement by providing healthy meals and high quality, affordable programs that encourage learning and healthy behaviors.
Keeping children nourished, “edutained” and informed.
As part of the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act, new standards have been set for school meals across the nation with a goal of creating healthier meals for kids. The Adams 12 Nutrition Department will be meeting all of the required standards for the 2012-2013 school year, including:
- Offering a variety of fresh, frozen, and canned fruits and vegetables daily, with a requirement that EVERY STUDENT takes at least 1 fruit or vegetable at lunch
- More than half of the grains being offered are whole grain rich
- All items have zero grams of trans fats (.5 grams or less) per serving
- Only 1% or fat free milk options are available
In addition to the changes being required by the USDA, Adams 12 is continuing to make improvement to the menu to offer our students fresh, healthy meals, including:
- A fresh salad served daily – varying from a romaine and spinach tossed salad, fresh fruit salad, mandarin asian salad, or many other cold salad options.
- Four different options of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Fresh lettuce and tomato served with all sandwiches, tacos, burgers, and tostadas.
- Continuous expansion of whole grain items as they become available.
- All a la carte items meet nutrition guidelines set by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, limiting calories, fat, and sugar content.
- A daily vegetarian entrée.
- Highlighting a fruit or vegetable through the "Harvest of the Month" program with a new recipe each month.
- The Harvest of the Month for May is STRAWBERRIES...a kid favorite!! The school cafeterias will be serving a delicious Strawberry and Watermelon Salad with a light yogurt dressing on Tuesday, May 7th. Try the RECIPE at home and encourage your child to try this salad at school! Click here to learn more about STRAWBERRIES and get ideas for all the outdoor activities your family can do at some of Colorado's beautiful National Parks!
- If you'd like to see the Harvest of the Month cycle for the entire year click here.
- The cafeterias are now serving "Featured Fruits" every week to continue offering a variety of fresh fruits. These fruits will be offered at least one day during that week. The "Featured Fruits" for May are:
Apr 29-May 3 - Pears and Tangerines
May 6-10 - Oranges and Grapes
May 13-17 - Bananas and Kiwi
May 20-24 - Apples and Grapefruit
- The menus for the last 2 weeks of school are determined by each individual kitchen. Please check with your child's kitchen staff or the school's main office for the menu choices each day.
- Wednesday, May 8th is NATIONAL BIKE TO SCHOOL DAY!! Try leaving the car at home and instead walk or bike to school that morning! It's great exercise for the whole family, and your child will be ready to learn when they get to school!
- Adams 12 DOES NOT serve Lean Finely Textured Beef (ammonium hydroxide gas). Our current vendor does not use Lean Finely Textured Beef (LFTB) during the processing of our beef. Adams 12 will continue to opt out on beef that contains LFTB.
- Coronado Hills Elementary, Federal Heights Elementary, North Star Elementary, Northglenn Middle, and Stukey Elementary are now serving Breakfast in the Classroom to every student, every day! The kitchen and school staff are working hard to deliver food to each classroom every morning so students are ready to learn.
- Adams 12 has gone green! Our kitchens have done a wonderful job of reducing landfill waste by using washable trays, flatware in place of plastic silverware, and transitioning from wrapped grab-and-go selections to self-service. We are continuing to make improvements in this area each year.
- Adams 12 partners with a local Food Bank to donate leftover foods from our kitchens.