Healthy bodies. Healthy minds. A thriving school community.
Now more than ever, students face new challenges and risks that affect their health and the quality of their future. Adams 12 Five Star Schools recognizes that a child’s physical, emotional, social, and mental health directly affects his or her capacity to learn. The Five Star district is committed to engaging educators, parents, and community partners to guide our work in providing the services and resources necessary to develop thriving and successful students.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools District Health Advisory Committee (DHAC)
Adams 12 Five Star Schools launched a District Health Advisory Committee in the spring of 2015. This committee works to assess the health needs of our students in order to collectively make strategic health and wellness recommendations to the district. The district believes that when expertise and community resources are combined, the challenge of reducing students’ risk behavior and improving health and academic success can be achieved.
The DHAC is composed of parents, community members, and district staff acting collectively to advise the school district on aspects of student health as defined by the Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child (WSCC) Model. Roles and responsibilities include:
- Working collaboratively to make strategic health and wellness recommendations to district leadership
- Advocating for school health by communicating the connection between health and student success to key stakeholders
- Encouraging schools to include health and wellness goals in their Unified Improvement Plans (UIPs)
- Serving as the federally mandated Wellness Policy Committee
- Assisting with the development and review of the District Wellness Policy
- Advising district leadership of local community values and needs
- Attending and actively participating in monthly meetings
The DHAC meets on the third Thursday of every month from 3:30-5:00 PM, with the exception of June, July, August, and December.
For more information on joining the DHAC, please contact Lisle Reed at 720-972-6011 or via email at Lisle.M.Reed@adams12.org.