Thornton High School bond work gets early start [video]
Interior, exterior work gets spring start to allow for new school year finish
The first of more than $10 million in bond improvements planned for Thornton High School started in February.
The majority of work planned for the school as part of the 2016 Bond Program will take place once the school year ends in May. However, with the large amount of work planned, Adolfson & Peterson Construction, general contractor for the project, is taking advantage of a few strategic opportunities to get a jump start on improvements.
Much of the work happening this spring will take place outside the school and includes:
- The replacement of two failing retaining walls - one on the northeast side of the campus and one near the athletic fields
- The removal and replacement of a failing sewer line
- Work on the installation of a new artificial turf practice field in place of a current soccer practice field
- Resurfacing of the school's tennis courts
Inside the school, work will include:
- The installation of a new fire alarm system
- The beginning of work on the renovation of the kitchen and cafeteria that will facilitate the school's transition to the National School Lunch Program
Once the school year ends, construction work will launch throughout the school. Anticipated summer work, in addition to the kitchen and cafeteria renovation, will include a new look for the school's Commons area as well as upgrades to the school's auditorium and music/art classrooms.
While some of the planned improvements - such as repairs to critical building systems - were prescribed as part of a pre-bond evaluation of the 45-year-old building, a Design Advisory Group of school stakeholders, which included administrators and teachers, worked with the project architect, Cuningham Group Architecture, to establish many of the renovation priorities that will be addressed during the summer work.
Improvement work at Thornton High School is one of more than 30 renovation and construction projects planned for Summer 2019 throughout the Five Star District. Click here for a complete list of projects and to learn more about specific improvements planned for each district school.