North Star Elementary School
Construction - Here we go! With the planning and design phase complete, construction is underway at your school to accomplish the individual projects of your school's investment plan.
North Star Elementary will receive significant renovations and improvements in Summer 2018 as part of the 2016 Bond Program.
These planned improvements are part of building system, infrastructure and safety upgrades identified during the bond development process as well as a Design Advisory Group (DAG), of school staff, parents and community members who worked with the architectural team in Spring 2017 to prioritize a scope of renovation and remodel work. As part of this process, DAG members identified a list of primary and secondary priorities for the expenditure of money from the school's renovations and specials bond budget. This did not include money already designated for identified critical deferred maintenance needs and safety and security upgrades.
2017: Design Work
*Some minor improvements, including work related to instructional upgrade purchases, may occur during 2017.
2018: Major construction expected to take place in Summer 2018 with anticipated completion for the start of the 2018-19 school year
Construction Manager / General Contractor: Adolfson & Peterson Construction
- Exterior classroom window replacement throughout building
- Replace all building skylights
- Replacement of exterior doors and frames
- Replacement of failing flooring in critical locations including school kitchen and heavily-used corridors
- Renovation of the Severe Special Needs restroom to be ADA accessible
- Addition of one ADA-accessible restroom near school common area
- Renovation of staff restrooms to make them ADA accessible
Equipment & Furnishings
- Remove pea gravel area at playground and install new play structure with ADA access
- Add ADA accessible rubber tile at playground swings
Building Systems / Safety & Security
- Replace aging kitchen grease interceptor
- Replace deteriorating sewer system components
- Replace failing building water lines
- A new secured entry vestibule for all visitors to the school
- Upgrade building power components to minimize building power loss and associated learning disruptions
- New electronic card readers for safe and secure building access
- Upgrade school intercom system to meet safety requirements
- New exterior and interior digital security cameras
- Replacement of main access stair from street level at front of school; add stairs to south playground access and create a concrete pathway at the south side of the building to access playground areas
Renovations & Remodels
- A significant renovation to the school's administrative area to allow staff to better serve students and parents. This will include improvements to the school clinic and making the clinic restroom ADA accessible
- The creation of a new hallway to connect the Library Media Center to the lower hallway on the east side of the school to improve student flow and provide another accessible route to the LMC
- Painting of school main corridor
- Addition of sound dampening to mechanical system in music room
- Relocation of art room to more accessible location in building
- Replacement of operable partition between gym and music area
- Improvements to staff lounge including new casework and countertops
- Install classroom coat hooks
- Mounted digital projectors and classroom audio systems in the majority of building classrooms as well as purchase of Chromebooks and iPads.
*Each school is provided with funding for instructional upgrades determined through a collaborative process with the school and community. Categories can include furniture, technology, space modifications, safety & security upgrades and specials/electives.