North Star Elementary School
Complete - New and improved! We're excited to say, your investment plan is now complete. This process was a collaborative effort. With your help, we're engaging and inspiring all students to innovate to achieve and succeed in a safe environment.
North Star Elementary received significant renovations and improvements in Summer 2018 as part of the 2016 Bond Program.
Work included a combination of more than $2 million in critical building system and infrastructure improvements (such as replacement of all building skylights, new exterior doors and frames, improvements to building plumbing systems as well as safety and security upgrades) to priorities identified through the Design Advisory Group process (such as reconfigurations of building space, new interior paint and flooring and improvements to specials programs).
2017: Design Work
*Some minor improvements, including work related to instructional upgrade purchases, may occur during 2017.
2018: Major construction expected to take place in Summer 2018 with anticipated completion for the start of the 2018-19 school year
Construction Manager / General Contractor: Adolfson & Peterson Construction
- Exterior classroom window replacement throughout building - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replace all building skylights - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replacement of exterior doors and frames - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replacement of failing flooring in critical locations including school kitchen and heavily-used corridors - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Renovation of the Severe Special Needs restroom to be ADA accessible - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Addition of one ADA-accessible restroom near school common area - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Renovation of staff restrooms to make them ADA accessible - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
Equipment & Furnishings
- Remove pea gravel area at playground and install new play structure with ADA access - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Add ADA accessible rubber tile at playground swings - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
Building Systems / Safety & Security
- Replace aging kitchen grease interceptor - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replace deteriorating sewer system components - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replace failing building water lines - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- A new secured entry vestibule for all visitors to the school - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Upgrade building power components to minimize building power loss and associated learning disruptions - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- New electronic card readers for safe and secure building access - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Upgrade school intercom system to meet safety requirements - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- New exterior and interior digital security cameras - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replacement of main access stair from street level at front of school; add stairs to south playground access and create a concrete pathway at the south side of the building to access playground areas
Renovations & Remodels
- A significant renovation to the school's administrative area to allow staff to better serve students and parents. This will include improvements to the school clinic and making the clinic restroom ADA accessible - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- The creation of a new hallway to connect the Library Media Center to the lower hallway on the east side of the school to improve student flow and provide another accessible route to the LMC - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Painting of school main corridor - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Addition of sound dampening to mechanical system in music room - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Relocation of art room to more accessible location in building - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Replacement of operable partition between gym and music area - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Improvements to staff lounge including new casework and countertops - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Install classroom coat hooks - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
- Mounted digital projectors and classroom audio systems in the majority of building classrooms as well as purchase of Chromebooks and iPads - COMPLETED SUMMER 2018
*Each school is provided with funding for instructional upgrades determined through a collaborative process with the school and community. Categories can include furniture, technology, space modifications, safety & security upgrades and specials/electives.