Adams 12 Five Star Schools has provided district-managed Chromebooks to every student in kindergarten through twelfth grade. As students engage in digital learning and build their digital literacy skills, we are committed to ensuring a safe learning environment. As part of this, the district uses a suite of tools called GoGuardian to provide web filtering services and tools for teachers to use as they support digital learning. Here is an overview of the services we use and how they work:
GoGuardian Web Filtering (provided by GoGuardian Admin)
This tool is automatically enabled any time a student logs into their school Google Account, whether that is on a personal device or a district-owned Chromebook. Families who do not want this extension on their personal devices should instruct their child NOT to log in to their school Google account on their personal device. It’s encouraged that students leave personal devices at home, and use their district-provided Chromebook for school. This tool is only active when students are logged into their school Google account.
GoGuardian web filtering filters students’ internet browsing, YouTube searches and Google documents, much like students would expect to experience when using a school desktop computer. The filtering is designed to prevent students from encountering web content that might be harmful or inappropriate.
GoGuardian Teacher (Applicable to Grades 6-12 Only)
This is an optional tool for teachers to use during class time. It can help teachers monitor student progress, help students stay on task and facilitate communication between students and teachers during class time. Teachers who use this tool will notify families ahead of time.
- Is active during a GoGuardian class when students are logged into Google Chrome using their Adams 12 Google account during the course of the school day from 7 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- Activates during class whether students are logged into their school account on a personal computer or a school-owned Chromebook. If you do not want GoGuardian to activate on your child’s personal device, please instruct them to use their district-issued Chromebook rather than their personal device. It’s encouraged that students leave personal devices at home, and use their district-provided Chromebook for school.
- Helps students be successful and stay focused when using technology in class:
- Teachers can see student Chrome browser tabs and the schoolwork they’re doing in order to easily identify students who are struggling or may need more guidance.
- Teachers can support student learning by blocking sites, closing tabs, or locking students to a specific website in their browser; sending links to websites they want students to view; or using chat to help students complete an assignment.
Helps assess and support student progress on class assignments:
- GoGuardian helps teachers know when students may be stuck so they can quickly address any questions and help students stay on task.
Facilitates communication between teachers and students during class time:
- Teachers can chat directly with individual students without disturbing the rest of the class, increasing participation and engagement.
- Teachers can quickly and easily share links and information with students, helping everyone make the most of their class time together.
- A teacher is not able to take control of students’ computers, camera or access information or files stored on the computer.
What are my parental/guardian and child’s responsibilities?
We ask that students use their district Google account and school-managed devices for educational purposes within the boundaries of the Five Star Schools Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook. The handbook includes the Technology Usage Agreement and requirements for using social media, the internet, and consequences for misuse.
Since students will be accessing digital content on district-owned devices after school hours, parents are also responsible for supervising internet access and usage. We encourage you to discuss rules for appropriate internet usage with your child, and reinforce lessons of digital citizenship and safety with him or her. We also highly encourage you to report any potential cyberbullying or other sensitive issues to us. As with any report of bullying, you may locate the relevant resources on our bullying prevention webpage or contact your child’s school for other issues.
What are my choices as a parent/guardian?
For those families comfortable accessing the district’s GoGuardian Teacher system on students’ personal devices, no action is required. An extension will be automatically added to the Chrome browser when your child logs through their district account.
For those families who do not want to access the district’s GoGuardian Teacher system used on their child’s personal device, please instruct your child not to log into their school Google account on their personal device.
For additional details about how GoGuardian works for your students, please view the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s) about GoGuardian for Families.
What are the school’s responsibilities?
We will continue to work with students to help teach them digital responsibility and safety. We also want to ensure that the decisions students make when working online meet the expectations and policies included in the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook. Additionally, we will continue to train teachers and administrators about how to operate GoGuardian and about policies and procedures to help protect student privacy.
How does GoGuardian help protect my child’s privacy?