Earn your first year of college credit for free!
Accelerating Students through Concurrent Enrollment
ASCENT is a “5th Year Program” that allows eligible seniors to remain enrolled at the high school and take a fifth year consisting entirely of college classes. The cost of tuition is covered by Adams 12 Five Star Schools.
To qualify you must meet the following requirements:
- Remain enrolled at the high school for a fifth year. (You will take courses on the college campus, not on the high school campus.)
- Be under the age of 21.
- Have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Be on track to meet all high school graduation requirements by the end of your senior year.
- Have completed, or be on track to complete, at least 9 credit hours of college coursework prior to the completion of your 12th grade year (Concurrent Enrollment classes, CTE courses, and/or AP courses with a qualifying score on the AP exam count towards credit hours - see AP document for more info).
- Not be in need of basic skills or remedial course work as defined by the Colorado Commission on Higher Education's (CCHE) remedial education policy.
- Have satisfied the minimum prerequisites for the college classes before your enrollment in the course, including having the required SAT, ACT or Accuplacer scores.
- Have an updated Individual Career and Academic Plan (ICAP) with your HS counselor.
- Apply for the College Opportunity Fund (COF).
- Apply to and be accepted into the Colorado postsecondary institution where you plan to take college classes.
It might not be a fit for you, if:
- Students that want to attend college out of state their freshman year.
- Students that want to play inter-collegiate sports (NCAA) their freshman year.
- Students that will require federal financial aid (federal student loans, federal grants) to cover expenses not covered by ASCENT.
Questions, or are you ready to enroll?
Talk to your school counselor, or email
- MSU Denver
- Any Colorado Community College System school
- How does ASCENT benefit me?
- How much tuition or costs does the district pay for?
- Does participating in this program impact the amount of financial aid I may receive?
- If I stay enrolled at the high school for a 5th year, when will I be considered a high school graduate?
- Will I be able to participate in my high school graduation?
- Do I need to attend college full time?
- Can I take online classes through ASCENT?
- Am I required to participate for the entire school year?
- Which college classes can I take?
- Can I participate in college activities and athletics?
- Can I live in the dorms?
- Does the district provide transportation to the college?
- When do I have to decide and commit to the program?