Nonpublic Home School Programs (Home-Based Education)
The state of Colorado recognizes that home-based education is a legitimate educational option. Homeschool is considered nonpublic, is not regulated by the state of Colorado, and is subject to minimum state controls which are currently applicable to other forms of nonpublic education.
Parents wishing to home school their children have the following responsibilities:
- Fill out the letter of intent (Spanish)14 days prior to the beginning of home based education. Parents must fill out this form each year they are planning to provide home based education. The completed form must be signed and delivered (mail, email or walk-in) to the Admissions Office.
- Provide instruction that includes, but is not limited to, communication skills of reading, writing and speaking; mathematics; history; civics; literature; science; and regular courses of instruction in the Constitution of the United States. The selection of curriculum is at the discretion of the parent overseeing the home schooling program. The parent who oversees the home school program is taking on the responsibility of obtaining books, supplies, tests, and is responsible for any costs associated.
- Provide no less than 172 days of instruction, averaging four contact hours per day.
- Create and keep educational records as defined in CRS 22-33-104-5 (g) including, but not limited to: immunization records, attendance data, test and evaluation results and deliver them within 14 days of a written request from the district.
- Have the child evaluated when such child reaches grades three, five, seven, nine and eleven as defined in CRS 22-33-104-5 (f), using a nationally recognized standardized achievement test, and submit the results to the school district which received the letter of intent.
- Encourage the student to attend school while the 14 day waiting period is in effect and describe the consequences of truancy if the letter of intent in not received and confirmed.
- District Home School Policy (English - Spanish)
- District Home School Letter of Intent Form (English - Spanish)
- Colorado Department of Education (CDE) Home School Website
- CDE Home School FAQs
- Colorado Home School Law