If athlete has a suspected head injury, the coach will remove the student from play immediately and call 911 if needed. The coach will also:
- Contact an athletic trainer (ATC) immediately and monitor the athlete’s signs and symptoms. (If ATC is available, the ATC will perform a concussion evaluation. If ATC is not available, the coach will continue to monitor symptoms and use their best judgment for immediate referral needs.)
- Notify athlete’s parents to report the suspected concussion ASAP. (The ATC will also call parents)
- The ATC will review the red flags and return to play protocol requirements with parents, and recommend they schedule an appointment with their physician or make an appointment with the Children's Hospital concussion program or appropriate medical facility.
- Once an evaluation has taken place, the coach is to inform the building Athletic Director of the incident as soon as possible.
- The ATC will email the school nurse within 24 hours of the concussion evaluation.
- The ATC and the Athletic Director will communicate academic relief to the teachers of the student.
- The athlete will be cleared to return to sports and full academic activity only when cleared by physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. A note must be obtained indicating medical clearance. The ATC will notify the school nurse when athlete has gained medical clearance. The ATC, along with the physician assigned to the school, will provide final clearance of the athlete to return to activity/sport assuring the return to play protocol has been followed.
Children's Hospital Colorado's latest campaign with Phillip Lindsay features our very own, Robert Lopez, Northglenn HS Athletic Trainer! Thank you for everything you do for our student athletes, Robert!
Phillip Lindsay Goes 1-on-1 with Elite Teen Athlete at the Sports Medicine CenterVideo of Phillip Lindsay Goes 1-on-1 with Elite Teen Athlete at the Sports Medicine Center
The Veterans Memorial Aquatic Center (VMAC) invites the Five Star community to swim in their Olympic-size pool. Open lap swim is available for the public year round and a new flyer will be posted at the end of October for November-February dates and times.LAP SWIM HOURS:
August 1st-October 31st 2019
Monday, Wednesday, Friday 5am-7amNO LAP SWIM DATES: Friday, August ...