If athlete has a suspected head injury, the coach will remove the student from play immediately and call 911 if needed. The coach will also:
- Contact an athletic trainer (ATC) immediately and monitor the athlete’s signs and symptoms. (If ATC is available, the ATC will perform a concussion evaluation. If ATC is not available, the coach will continue to monitor symptoms and use their best judgment for immediate referral needs.)
- Notify athlete’s parents to report the suspected concussion ASAP. (The ATC will also call parents)
- The ATC will review the red flags and return to play protocol requirements with parents, and recommend they schedule an appointment with their physician or make an appointment with the Children's Hospital concussion program or appropriate medical facility.
- Once an evaluation has taken place, the coach is to inform the building Athletic Director of the incident as soon as possible.
- The ATC will email the school nurse within 24 hours of the concussion evaluation.
- The ATC and the Athletic Director will communicate academic relief to the teachers of the student.
- The athlete will be cleared to return to sports and full academic activity only when cleared by physician, nurse practitioner or physician assistant. A note must be obtained indicating medical clearance. The ATC will notify the school nurse when athlete has gained medical clearance. The ATC, along with the physician assigned to the school, will provide final clearance of the athlete to return to activity/sport assuring the return to play protocol has been followed.
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected so many aspects of our lives, including youth sports. As young athletes return to practice and competition, we want to help them stay safe. Learn about the most updated evidence on the pandemic, how to safely return to sport after an infection, and tips for keeping your athlete healthy.
Presented by: Children’ ...
April 15, 2021
Dear Adams 12 Athletes and Families, Unfortunately, we will not be able to hold our annual CAPS (Comprehensive Athletic Physicals for Students) preparticipation physicals again in 2021 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We are strongly recommending all student athletes make appointments with their primary care providers to have their pre-participation examination performed ...