ELEVATE is a year-long engagement process bringing parents, community members, students and staff together to develop a five-year strategic plan to elevate student success in the Five Star District. A completed community-driven five-year strategic plan and accompanying resource plan to support the new priorities will be unveiled in August 2018.
The ELEVATE Process
In Fall 2017, more than 3,000 people and 49 schools participated in the first phase which focused on building upon what is working well in our schools and the district. Participants used a storytelling process to listen and learn from one another about a time when the Five Star District and our schools “did right” by a student. This process allowed participants to collectively determine common strengths and ideas to achieve hopes and dreams for the future.
The ELEVATE engagement sessions in fall 2017 have been an exciting time to hear from staff, students, parents and community members through interactive story telling, dreaming and planning.
- Read a letter from Superintendent Chris Gdowski about the experience this fall going through the ELEVATE process and some of the themes we are hearing from the Five Star community on stories and strengths of the district.
- View a photo gallery of the events across the district.
How We're Doing It
Behind the scenes is our Core Team. Made up of half staff members and half community members, the Core Team helps plan engagement sessions, work through the data and lead the work ensuring that all stakeholders have a voice in developing our community-driven plan.
- Fall 2017 - Listening to parent, community, students and staff through conversations.
- Early 2018 - After hearing feedback from staff and community throughout the district, we will compile all of the data and begin to "make-meaning" of the findings. The Core Team will organize the data for the community to work through at the April "summit" meeting.
- Spring 2018 - The process culminates on April 5 with a district-wide Summit where 200 people will finalize the focus areas and collectively define an action plan to achieve the new strategies.
- June 2018 - Draft of strategic plan, with a resource plan, presented to Board of Education.
- August 2018 - Final strategic and resource plan presented to community.
- In March, staff, parents and community members will be asked to take a short survey to provide feedback on the initial findings and direction of the data collected in the fall. The survey will ask participants to prioritize potential focus areas and strategies.
- On April 5, 2018, we will host a districtwide "summit" for 150-200 people to continue our meaning-making by analyzing the findings from the fall and defining priorities and an action plan. We will also begin to outline a resource plan to make our strategic plan happen. If you participated in a fall engagement session, you will be invited to participate in this summit. Space is limited.
Contact Mark Poshak for questions on ELEVATE process and dates.