The ELEVATE Process
ELEVATE is a year-long engagement process bringing parents, community members, students and staff together to develop a five-year strategic plan to elevate student success in the Five Star District. A five-year strategic plan reflecting the community's priorities will be unveiled August 2018.
In Fall 2017, more than 3,000 people and 49 schools participated in the first phase which focused on building upon what is working well in our schools and the district. Participants used a storytelling process to listen and learn from one another about a time when the Five Star District and our schools “did right” by a student. This process allowed participants to collectively determine common strengths and ideas to achieve hopes and dreams for the future.
The ELEVATE engagement sessions in fall 2017 have been an exciting time to hear from staff, students, parents and community members through interactive storytelling, dreaming and planning.
- Read a letter from Superintendent Chris Gdowski about the experience this fall going through the ELEVATE process and some of the themes we are hearing from the Five Star community on stories and strengths of the district.
- View a photo gallery of the events across the district.
- In Spring 2018, we asked for the community's input through an online survey to help prioritize focus areas and strategies developed from the fall feedback. Over 3,600 people participated in the survey.
- On April 5, 2018, we hosted "The Summit" where over 230 parents, students, staff and community members came together to continue our meaning-making by analyzing the findings from the fall and defining priorities within the six established focus areas:
- Safe Schools
- 21st Century Learners
- Outside-the-Classroom Experiences
- Diverse Learning
- Social/Emotional Learning
- World-Class Staff
- The event was a huge success thanks to all the participants who "clipped in" to engage in the hard work of prioritizing actions to ensure we ELEVATE student success over the next five years.
- A special thanks to our sponsors:
Presenting to the Board
- On May 2, 2018, the Core Team will present the process and initial findings to the Board of Education. The meeting is open to the public:
- Read the ELEVATE Summary Update provided to the Board of Education
- On June 20, 2018 the Core Team will present a formal presentation to the board with a further refined plan based on what was discovered this year through the ELEVATE process.
- Both sessions are at 7 p.m. and open to the public at 1500 E. 128th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241
How We're Doing It
Behind the scenes is our Core Team. Made up of half staff members and half community members, the Core Team helps plan engagement sessions, work through the data and lead the work ensuring that all stakeholders have a voice in developing our community-driven plan.
- Fall 2017 - Listening to parent, community, students and staff through conversations.
- Early 2018 - After hearing feedback from staff and community throughout the district, we will compile all of the data and begin to "make-meaning" of the findings. The Core Team will organize the data for the community to work through at the April "summit" meeting.
- Spring 2018 - The process culminates on April 5 with a district-wide Summit where 200 people will finalize the focus areas and collectively define an action plan to achieve the new strategies.
- June 2018 - Draft of strategic plan, with a resource plan, presented to Board of Education.
- August 2018 - Final strategic and resource plan presented to community.
Contact Mark Poshak for questions on ELEVATE process and dates.