Frequently Asked Questions from parents.
- What happens if a student shows flu symptoms while at school?
- What is the school district doing to ensure my child is safe at school?
- As a parent/guardian, what can I do to help control the spread of the flu?
- Should family members of the sick person stay home from work or school?
- What kind of cleaning will be done in the schools?
Students with flu-like symptoms will be sent to the school's health office. So as to minimize any potential exposure to healthy students, ill students will remain in the health office until a parent or guardian can pick up the student. Any staff member with flu symptoms will also return home. For their protection and the protection of others, any person with flu symptoms will wear a mask while in the health office.
Each school is educating students and staff through various means of communication on the following points:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or cough or sneeze into your upper sleeve, not your hands.
- Put your used tissue in the waste basket.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hand cleaners are also effective and recommended.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Avoid contact with sick people.
- Stay home if you are sick to avoid spreading the virus to others.
Monitor your student for flu symptoms. If symptoms appear, have your child remain at home until he or she has been without a fever for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication. This will help limit the spread of the disease. Your student will be sent home if they come to school with any symptoms consistent with the flu. In the event you cannot miss work while your child is ill, please make arrangements ahead of time for day care. Schools cannot keep sick children in the health room at school due to the exposure to other children and school staff.
Not unless the family members have symptoms. Parents/guardians should monitor siblings carefully and keep them home if they show any symptoms.
Five Star District cleaning staff will continue to clean our schools and classrooms according to our guidelines. Our goal is to keep students healthy and safe.