ESC EV Charging Station
Adams 12 Five Star Schools received funding through the Charge Ahead Colorado program, funded by the Regional Air Quality Council, to purchase and install an electric vehicle charging station (EVSE). This unit was installed at the Educational Support Center to serve our entire district and surrounding community. Funding for electric vehicles (EV) and EVSEs in the state of Colorado is targeted at expanding the EV infrastructure and reducing common air pollutants associated with gasoline-powered vehicles.
- How much does the charging station cost for me to use?
- Is there a limit to how long I can charge my vehicle at this charging station?
- What if I want to charge my vehicle and a non-EV, or an EV that is no longer charging is parked in the space?
- When is the unit available for charging my vehicle?
- How much will this service cost the district?
- I see that one of the parking spaces in front of the charging station is labeled as an American Disabilities Act (ADA) or handicap parking space. Is this an EV parking space or an ADA space?
At this time, the district is not charging a fee to any individual that charges their electric vehicle at this station. Please note, the charging station is a ChargePoint EVSE and requires that you have a ChargePoint account and have installed the ChargePoint application on your phone.
In an effort to allow multiple users, the district has set the time limit for charging at this station to two hours per charge. Please move your vehicle as soon as practicable once the two hours is up.
What if I want to charge my vehicle and a non-EV, or an EV that is no longer charging is parked in the space?
While strict enforcement of these parking spaces is not expected, we ask all users to practice common etiquette:
- Do not park in this space if you don’t drive an EV.
- Move your EV as soon as practicable once you are fully charged, even if this is prior to the two-hour charge window ending.
- Move your EV as soon as practicable after the two-hour charge window, even if you are not fully charged.
- If another EV is finished charging, and the parking space immediately next to that vehicle is open, we encourage additional EV drivers to respectfully disconnect the fully charged vehicle to utilize the charging station for their vehicle.
The operating hours of the charging station have been set from 6 AM to 10 PM, Monday-Friday. The district wants to be sure this benefit is available to our employees and community during typical business hours, including late evening meetings that often occur at the Training Center.
Based on the electricity requirements for the charging station, it costs the district roughly $1 per two-hour charge. This is based on electric rates at the time of installation of the unit (December 2019).
I see that one of the parking spaces in front of the charging station is labeled as an American Disabilities Act (ADA) or handicap parking space. Is this an EV parking space or an ADA space?
Until summer 2020, this is an ADA reserved spot. After summer 2020, the space with the ADA signage in front of the charging station is an EV-only parking space that has been designed for ADA access. We ask that drivers of electric vehicles that do not have an ADA sticker utilize the non-ADA-designed space first. However, if that spot is unavailable, an EV without an ADA sticker is allowed to utilize the ADA-designed space.