Whether your child is in kindergarten or high school, your engagement in their education makes a difference! Here are some ideas for various groups you can join or things you can do on your own to support your child's success and the success of your school.
- Be actively engaged in your child's schoolwork, activities and community. Help your children with their homework. Check Infinite Campus often. Talk with them about how they are feeling and how you can support them. Be in touch with their teachers and attend conferences. Show that you value their education and that you are there to advocate for them and help them advocate for themselves.
- Support your individual school by attending parent group meetings. All elementary schools in our district have parent groups that focus on planning activities, fundraising, and meeting other school needs. Visit your school’s website or contact the school for more information.
- Support your child’s athletic and extracurricular activities. Athletic teams and marching bands typically have organized booster groups that support fundraising and volunteering. Clubs and other activities often need parent assistance as well. Check with your child’s coach, teacher or club sponsor for details.
Volunteering At Schools
- Volunteering at a School: Every school, regardless of level, benefits from volunteers. From reading to elementary students to shelving books in the middle school library to helping with events at the high school, volunteers play an important role in the schools. To learn more about school-level volunteer opportunities, contact the school in your area. Volunteers will be asked to fill out a short application with a background check.
- Service Projects: Get your community group, church or business together to do a service project at a school or to raise money for a need or to collect household goods for families. Talk with your school about what your specific community needs and how you can help. Contact Mark Poshak to discuss options.
- Senior Tax Rebate Program: Senior Citizens are invited to volunteer in any of our schools. If a resident of Adams County, volunteers may be eligible for financial assistance with property taxes. For more information, see the tax rebate flyer or contact Cindy Douma in Human Resources at (720) 972-4071.
Other Ways to Be Involved
Join a districtwide leadership group or committee:
- District Accountability Committee
- Five Star Leadership Academy
- Long Range Planning Advisory Committee
- Finance and Audit Committee
Join a districtwide parent group:
- Adams 12 Kids Identified with Dyslexia (KID)
- American Indian Parent Advisory Committee
- Gifted and Talented Parents Group
- Hispanic Advisory Council
- Parent Leader Action Network (PLAN)
- Special Education Advisory Council
- District Health Advisory Committee
Support education initiatives and student success through outside organizations:
Board of Education Meetings
Stay informed by attending the Adams 12 Five Star Schools Board of Education meetings. Meetings are held the first and third Wednesdays of each month during the school year and are open to the public. Observe board members as they discuss and vote on policies, view presentations from district leadership, and hear public comment on important issues regarding our district.