The Early Access priority choice application window for the 2020-21 school year is now CLOSED.
Applications were due by JANUARY 24 for the First Round of Choice.
For Early Access applications submitted after January 24 acceptance and/or placement is not guaranteed. After January 31, applications will be considered on a case by case basis. Application portfolio requirements include achievement and IQ assessment reports. NO Early Access applications will be accepted after April 1.
Adams 12 recognizes that some highly advanced gifted children may benefit academically, socially and/or emotionally from early entrance into Kindergarten or First Grade. Due to the academic demands of accelerating a student into Kindergarten or First Grade, students are screened using a number of nationally recognized assessments to determine whether Kindergarten or First Grade is an appropriate fit for each student applicant.
This process was established to meet the needs of highly advanced gifted children whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programming needs. A highly advanced gifted child is one whose body of evidence demonstrates a profile of exceptional ability or potential compared to same-age gifted children (generally at or above 97th percentile on nationally normed assessments as per Colorado Department of Education guidelines).
The Early Access process will include assessments for Aptitude/Cognitive, Achievement, Performance, and Behavior (readiness, social behavior, and motivation). A student qualifying for Early Access to Kindergarten or First Grade will have a Cognitive score at or above the 97th percentile, along with Achievement scores at or above the 97th percentile in each reading, writing, and mathematics. A qualifying student will also demonstrate advanced abilities in Performance and Behavior (readiness, social, and motivation) evaluations.
Early Access is for children that are age 4 on or before October 1 for Kindergarten; and, age 5 on or before October 1 for First Grade. Students must meet the district age requirements as outlined in District Policy 5230. Section 3.0 addresses the exceptions for Early Access for highly advanced gifted children. Early Access is an exception and may be appropriate for highly advanced gifted students (above the 97th percentile), and is specifically addressed in District Policy 5240, section 2.0.
Early Access Application Process
All children must go through an application process in order to be identified as a highly advanced gifted child (97th percentile) and accepted for Early Access, which means early entrance to Kindergarten or First Grade, as outlined by Colorado Department of Education. Schools cannot make this decision on their own.
Because of the intensive nature of testing, a fee will be assessed for this service. Our district does accept outside IQ testing results as a part of a student’s portfolio. The process can take some time – families are encouraged to submit applications well in advance of the end of January deadline.
Our department will hold 3 separate screening dates, which will be determined by the application submission date. These dates align with the Schools Choice Program.
How to Begin
The Early Access priority application window opens December 1 and closes January 31 each year.
Applications are due by JANUARY 24 for the First Round of Choice.
Please check the Schools Choice Program page for more information regarding the Choice process.
Families interested in applying for Early Access MUST apply to the school district in which they reside. The Adams 12 Early Access process only serves families within the Adams 12 district boundaries. Families residing outside of Adams 12 boundaries should contact the school district in which they are located. To check your residence please see the Adams 12 Boundary Locator.
- The first round of the Schools of Choice Program opens December 1 and closes January 31, which coincides with the Early Access application window. The priority deadline for Early Access applications is January 24.
- Early Access application information will be posted each December and completed applications are due by January 24 for the first round of choice. The Early Access application window closes January 31.
- Complete the parent survey and have the preschool survey completed if your child attends preschool. Submit along with the Early Access Application, as well as any applicable outside IQ Assessment reports. Families have the option to obtain an IQ Assessment at their expense. Please see the List of School Psychologists.
Submit the complete Early Access Application Portfolio to Adams 12 Five Star Schools: Advanced Academic & Gifted Services (AAGS). A complete application will include the:
- Early Access Application (for Spanish)
- Parent Survey (for Spanish)
- Preschool Survey
- Complete IQ Report (IQ report required after the January 31 priority window deadline)
- Achievement Assessment Report (Achievement report required after the January 31 priority window deadline)
- Early Access initial screening fee as stated on the application, please make checks to "Adams 12- AAGS."
- Note: If you are applying for Choice, please contact the admissions office.
- Please express interest directly to the school that you are interested in attending. You may view our schools open for choice here. If you have interest in attending a school other than your home boundary school, you must follow the district Schools Choice process. If you have any questions about the Schools of Choice Program, please contact the Admissions Office by phone at 720-972-4055. Due to a high volume of inquiries it may take 24-72 hours to return your call.
- Upon receiving your complete Early Access Application, the AAGS Department will call to schedule the screening appointment for your child.
- The results of the screening process will determine the next steps for IQ Assessment, if an IQ report has not already been provided. There is a cost associated with the IQ Assessment as stated on the application.
- Early Access decisions and assessment results are determined and families are notified in a timely manner.
- Adams 12 has an Early Access priority deadline of January 24 to align with the Schools Choice Program. For Early Access applications submitted after January 24 acceptance and/or placement is not guaranteed. After January 31, applications will be considered on a case by case basis. Application portfolio requirements include achievement and IQ assessment reports. NO Early Access applications will be accepted after April 1.
- The Adams 12 Five Star Schools AAGS Department follows District Policy 5230, 5240, and the state Early Access rules and guidelines set by the Colorado Department of Education (CDE).