Immunizations are an important part of our children’s and the community’s health. Colorado law (Board of Health rule 6 CCR 1009-2) requires students attending a public, private or parochial school to be immunized against certain vaccine-preventable diseases unless a medical or non-medical exemption is filed. Colorado follows the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices schedule. This schedule is approved by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Academy of Family Physicians, and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. This is the immunization schedule that will best protect your child from vaccine-preventable diseases and is the national standard for health care providers who vaccinate your children.
Colorado Immunization requirements for the 2020-21 school year:
- Kindergarten Parent Immunization Letter English | Español
- Parent Immunization Letter K-12 English | Español
You must provide one of the following to your child's school in order to comply with the law:
1. An immunization record from your health care provider or a Certificate of Immunization certifying that the student has received the minimum immunizations as indicated above.
2. If a student’s Certificate of Immunization is not up to date, the parent, guardian, or emancipated student has 14 days after notification to provide documentation that the next required immunization was administered and submit a written plan for completion of any additional required immunizations. If the plan is not completed, the student shall be excluded from school for noncompliance. An exception to this is a shortage of vaccine.
3. A medical or non-medical exemption is submitted to the school if a student is not fully immunized. Exemption guidance and information are available at www.colorado.gov/vaccineexemption.
Immunization requirements will be strictly enforced for all students. Students who do not meet the requirements can be denied attendance according to Colorado Revised Statutes 25-4-902.
The Colorado State Board of Health approved a recommendation that will require all students to receive their final doses of DTaP, Polio, MMR, and Varicella (chickenpox) vaccines before kindergarten entry and one dose of Tdap vaccine before 6th-grade entry (Spanish).
Local resources for vaccines can be found at: