Educators refers to all contracted, licensed (certified) employees of the district. This includes classroom teachers, special education teachers, resource teachers, deans, counselors, psychologists, social workers, OTs, PTs, speech language pathologists, audiologists, nurses, career and technical education teachers, instructional coaches, interventionists and library media specialists.
As a new Educator to Adams 12 Five Star Schools you must complete the following steps:
STEP 1: Licensed/Certified Employment Information: You will receive an email from Human Resources after you have accepted the position through our application system. It will include information about your assignment and HR contact information.
STEP 2: Background Check: After accepting the position in the system you will receive an email from our 3rd Party Vendor, Background Information Services Inc. (BISI), with instructions to complete the background screening questionnaire. This must be completed within 24 hours of receipt of the email. You will be contacted by Human Resources if there are concerns with your background check.
STEP 3: All new hires must sign up for an orientation session. Each orientation session is approximately 2 hours long. Orientations are held at the Adams 12 Five Star Schools Educational Support Center at 1500 E 128th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241.
- Orientation Agenda
- 9:00 am - Registration / Check-in / Information Tables
- 9:30 am - Welcome to Adams 12
- 10:00 am - School Safety Presentation
- 10:30 am - Question & Answer / Information Tables
STEP 4: Complete and Submit the following new hire packet and licensure information. Download, print, and complete the new hiring packet. Submit the completed hiring packet, I-9 Form with acceptable identification documents, license, transcripts and exam results to Human Resources at 1500 E 128th Ave, Thornton, CO 80241.
Please note: In order to help expedite your hire and streamline the orientation process, we request that you bring your completed new hire packet and any other documentation to Human Resources prior to your orientation date.
- New Educators Hiring Packet
- I-9 Form : Identification is required for I-9 verification. Please bring original IDs with you when you submit your forms to Human Resources.
- Colorado Teaching or Special Services License - Provide a copy of your educator license or an application receipt. If you do not have a valid Colorado educator license, submit your application immediately. Depending on the time of year, it can take a month or more for processing of licenses, so apply as quickly as you can. Log on to the Colorado Department of Education (CDE) website
- Original official transcripts: You must submit original, official transcripts showing all conferred degrees to Human Resources by: emailing official electronic transcripts from your university securely to email@example.com or mailing to or dropping off original official transcripts to Human Resources at 1500 East 128th Avenue, Thornton, CO 80241.
- Content exam results: Please submit copies of your content exam results with your hiring paperwork (PLACE, PRAXIS, etc.)
STEP 5: District Email: After your paperwork has been processed you will be assigned an employee ID number. Please use the Email Login Instructions to setup your email account.
STEP 6: Salary Placement: Placement on the salary schedule is determined by education level and experience. Certified Salary Schedules
- Education Level - Transcripts
New Adams 12 licensed employees are initially placed at the entry salary cell (education level and step) for their corresponding position and salary schedule. Your education level on the salary schedule will be updated once original, official transcripts have been received.
- Experience Step - Verification of Experience
New Adams 12 licensed employees are awarded up to 6 years of verified service for related previous experience. Forward by mail or email the Certified Verification of Employment Form (VOE form) to previous employers. HR will review the completed forms and give appropriate experience credit/steps on the salary schedule.
An Employee Services Specialist will be in contact with you regarding your salary placement. New employees who submit documentation within the first 90 calendar days of employment, will receive retro pay back to their start date. Documentation received after 90 days of employment, will be effective the first of the following month.
Additional details about salary placement can be found in Licensed Salary Placement Guidelines. Salary placement details for Special Service Providers can be found in the Special Services Providers Salary Placement Guidelines.
STEP 7: Benefits Information: Eligible employees will receive an email for online enrollment once required hiring paperwork is completed, submitted and processed. Review Benefits page for information regarding eligibility, enrollment and next steps.
STEP 8: New Employee Handbook & Payroll Information: Review Payroll Information and the New Employee Handbook. All new employees are required to become familiar with the contents of the New Employee Handbook.
STEP 9: Adams 12 Five Star Schools Induction Program: Review the Five Star Induction Program flyer for information about the Adams 12 license induction program, New Teacher Academy and other trainings for new hires.
STEP 10: District 12 Educator's Association (DTEA): Review the enrollment flyer for information about your Professional Association. DTEA works collectively with all stakeholders to ensure high quality, equitable opportunities for all students, by supporting schools and teachers across the Adams 12 Five Star School District.
STEP 11: Get familiar with important district resources (all available online):
- Certified Master Agreement 2017-18
- Certified Salary Schedules
- Certified Verification of Employment Form
- Signing Bonus
- English Language Learner (ELL) Required Training
- Student Services Summer Symposium
- District 12 Educators' Association (DTEA) Enrollment Form
- Licensure Information
- Student Teaching
- District Policies
- 2018-2019 Calendar
** PLEASE NOTE even though you have been recommended for hire, you will not be formally employed by Adams 12 Five Star Schools until you satisfy ALL of the employment conditions that have been established by the District, and the Board of Education approves your recommendation for hire.**
Human Resources Contact Information for New Educators
Human Resources | (720) 972-4068 | firstname.lastname@example.org