Pros & Cons
- The measure will not raise the current bond tax rate because the district has paid down and refinanced existing debt since the passage of the last bond in 2004.
- Schools are turning away students due to overcrowding. The district is projected to add 1,300 students over the next five years. That’s on top of the 4,200 additional students who have enrolled since the last bond in 2004.
- The average age of the district’s buildings is 30 years. Just like aging homes, critical systems need replaced over time like furnaces, roofs and sewers.
- The district doesn’t have the space to train students in high-demand careers such as skilled trades, technology services, healthcare and advanced manufacturing. Over the last five years, 25 percent of all students (1,213) who applied for career and technical classes and certification opportunities were turned away due to a lack of space.
- This measure doesn’t lower the tax rate.
- The state has defunded education in the Five Star District to the tune of nearly $40 million. The state should pay its fair share instead of local communities.
- This measure is much like a home mortgage and allows the district to issue debt that will need to be paid off for multiple years.
- The district can cut employees and reduce or eliminate educational programming in order to pay for critical building needs.
Construction on the FutureForward at Washington Square took a large, visible step forward in November.
The 67 massive, pre-cast concrete panels for the high-bay learning spaces that will house diesel automotive, welding and construction programs were installed throughout the month of November. Construction in the month of December will included the pouring of concrete slabs and the ...
Construction of the main backbone for a new fiber network for the Five Star School District is more than halfway complete and on schedule for a Spring 2020 completion.
Construction work on the district’s School Connectivity Project - a new district-wide dark fiber network identified as part of the 2016 Bond Program - began in August 2018. Dark fiber refers to a ...