Pros & Cons
- The measure will not raise the current bond tax rate because the district has paid down and refinanced existing debt since the passage of the last bond in 2004.
- Schools are turning away students due to overcrowding. The district is projected to add 1,300 students over the next five years. That’s on top of the 4,200 additional students who have enrolled since the last bond in 2004.
- The average age of the district’s buildings is 30 years. Just like aging homes, critical systems need replaced over time like furnaces, roofs and sewers.
- The district doesn’t have the space to train students in high-demand careers such as skilled trades, technology services, healthcare and advanced manufacturing. Over the last five years, 25 percent of all students (1,213) who applied for career and technical classes and certification opportunities were turned away due to a lack of space.
- This measure doesn’t lower the tax rate.
- The state has defunded education in the Five Star District to the tune of nearly $40 million. The state should pay its fair share instead of local communities.
- This measure is much like a home mortgage and allows the district to issue debt that will need to be paid off for multiple years.
- The district can cut employees and reduce or eliminate educational programming in order to pay for critical building needs.
Some improvements they could see, some they could not, but students at a dozen district schools returned to schools this month that were updated, safer, and, in some cases, bigger thanks to community support of the 2016 Bond Program.
The largest summer of work since a $350 million bond question was approved by voters in November 2016, which included new construction and renovations at ...
A recently started fiber construction project is designed to meet the network and Internet connectivity needs of Adams 12 Five Star Schools for years to come.
Construction work for the district’s School Connectivity Project got underway in August. A new district-wide dark fiber network was identified as part of the 2016 Bond Program. Dark fiber refers to a network where the district ...