Information on upcoming important dates, refund checks and more.
Dear Five Star Families,
As a reminder, we are now sending a regular community update each Thursday afternoon to the Five Star community for the remainder of the school year. This communication is designed to consolidate important updates for you into one weekly email.
Please refer to the following important dates regarding the end of the school year.
Wednesday, May 6 is the last day of school for seniors (see below for info on alternative schools).
- Seniors who are not passing a course needed for graduation will have until Wednesday, May 13 to complete the course. Be sure you are communicating with your teacher and counselor if you need extended time in order to complete course requirements.
- Vantage Point High School and Pathways Future Center follow different end of the year dates. Please refer to your school’s calendar or contact the school directly.
- Thursday, May 21 is the last day of school for all other students (Grades K-11).
*Charter schools might follow a different schedule, please contact them for information regarding their end-of-year dates.
Update from the Governor
Monday, April 20, Governor Polis announced school closures will remain in place through the end of the school year with remote learning continuing through this time period. In addition, beginning Monday, April 27 the state will move from a “Stay at Home” phase to a “Safer at Home” phase with the main difference being that Coloradans are urged, rather than ordered, to stay-at-home as much as possible. We are closely monitoring these shifts and will continue to work with state and local public health partners on what this means for our district as we finish this school year and prepare for next year. For all updates from the Governor’s Office, visit https://www.colorado.gov/governor/news.
Refund Checks in the Mail
As of April 23, more than 12,500 refund checks for student fees including lunch balances, cancelled field trips and spring athletic sports have been processed, printed and mailed. Thanks to the hard work of district staff who worked diligently to expedite the refund process in support of our families.
As a reminder, refund checks are issued to the primary household address. If you receive a check and believe you are not the intended recipient, the refund letter will provide instructions for further handling. If you have questions about other refunds, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
RESOURCES & SUPPORT
Remote Learning: Information about the district’s Remote Learning and FAQs
Family Technical Assistance: Technical assistance in support of remote learning. Families can also request technical assistance by sending an email to email@example.com or calling (720) 972-4118. Please include student name, student ID number and the best way to contact you in your message.
Grab and Go Meals: Information about the district's grab and go food distribution
Mental Health Resources: Talking points and resources for families when talking to children about COVID-19
Student Family Outreach Program: Resources for families including meals, housing, mental health, internet access, unemployment and more
Community letters: An archive of COVID-related district communications and resources
Supporting Our Community
The Five Star Education Foundation is organizing monetary donations that go directly to providing food for meal distribution and technology support for learning at home. Read more and donate today online.
RECOGNITION & GOOD NEWS
Community in Action
- We knew our music teachers were special, but this is incredible! Watch as teachers from across the district perform a group music video based on "Don't Stop Believing"!
- Students in the S.O.A.R. program at Horizon High School created the “Hidden Heroes Project” and donated 320 goodie bags and 325 boxes of Girl Scout cookies to Thornton Police Officers.
- Congratulations to Brianna Lynn Talmadge, Horizon High School, and Nicholas Arthur Dawson, Legacy High School, who were selected as 2020 Daniels Scholars! More than 2,260 students submitted an application to the program, while only 212 earned the scholarship!
- This week was Administrative Professionals' Day, National Volunteer Appreciation Week and Afterschool Professionals Appreciation Week. We are so thankful for volunteers and staff who help make our community strong and proud - we cannot do this work without you! Say thank you to them online.
Serving Our Community
To date, Information Technology (IT) has organized the delivery of more than 11,000 devices to families in our community. How have they done it? Follow Joel as he takes you through the steps to provide a device for a family. Click the video below for English and Spanish (or read the transcript in either language).
- Watch a thank you video for the Morgridge Family Foundation who generously donated $100,000 to address unmet food needs through our food distribution system and fulfill remote learning needs in our community (or read the text in the notes of the video).
- Our community partner, Food for Hope, was featured on Denver 7 for the good work they are doing to help provide food for our community.
Join the #FiveStarRemote Conversation!
Share something good that you’re seeing in our community right now by using the hashtag #FiveStarRemote. We will do our best to highlight your stories on our social media pages.