Get to know our Board of Education
January is School Board of Education Recognition Month. We took the time to share some fun facts about our Board with a special edition of the Faces of Five Star Schools. Get to know them below.
We are very grateful for our Board and rolls they serve in the Five Star Community.
- I joined the Board in 2013. I ran because I believe that strong public schools are central to a strong community and that people who care should step forward to serve and be advocates for kids
- My childhood dream was to be a jockey and ride a horse in the Kentucky Derby.
- The best advice I've ever received was "Listen. You have two ears and one mouth for a reason."
- I have my own consulting company and work part-time for Tri-County Health Department. I really enjoy baking and if I didn't have to eat, I would spend all my money on travel.
- My goal for the Five Star District over the next 10 years is that we continue to find new and better ways to meet the unique needs of all our students so they thrive while in school and as adults.
- I joined the Board in 2015. I made it my goal to do everything I can to expand the educational opportunities for all our students.
- Outside of my Board work, you'll find me advocating with other community leaders at the Capitol to build equity and fund additional opportunities in our public schools.
- I grew up in rural Virginia, a little community of numerous relatives all sharing the same last name, as well as the name f our community, Philpott. We spent summers riding horses and swimming in the creek.
- I don't speak any second language. For that reason, my daughters (fraternal twins) have studied Mandarin since first grade. But I love to travel and have been to over 26 countries!
- My goal for the Five Star District is to be able to grow to meet the diverse learning needs of our students while creating breadth and depth in our course offerings. I also want to be able to invest in our staff.
- This year will make 6.5 years on the Board. I became interested in participating as a Board member so I can contribute more than what I was able to do as part of the IB Parents Group.
- I used to sail sailboats and catamarans often when I was younger. It is a memorable experience to be the only person on the vessel with the win and water challenging your moves.
- Technology is my passion. Mostly technology that can assist others in their lives. I also enjoy water and snow skiing, mountain biking, and camping.
- My brother, sister and I all have children and they are boys. Seven boys in all.
- Over the next 10 years I'd like the see the Five Star District continue to persevere through the funding challenges by continuing to keep the focus on the Children.
- I joined the Board in November of 2015. I really enjoyed my time as a student in Adams 12 and felt that being on the Board was a way to give back and ensure my children had the same valuable experience.
- I am an avid crafter. I love doing all sorts of crafts, on my own and with my kids - Perler beads, jewelry making, painting, bead mosaics, etc.
- I am a finance professional at CU Boulder, a mother of two small children, and an involved church member. I also like spending time outdoors with my family.
- I moved around a bit as a kid because my dad was in the air force. I attended middle and high school in Northglenn.
- I am really excited to see, and be a part of, bringing the ELEVATE goals to life. From CTE, social-emotional learning, and outside-the-classroom learning.
- I joined the Board in 2011, because I wanted to help build a better school system for students.
- I have a career in architecture, engineering, and construction.
- I enjoy cycling and jigsaw puzzles.
- I grew up in Federal Heights, and I have been part of the Five Star Community for 20 years.
- My goal for the district is to continue academic trajectory until we're one of the top few districts in the state, increase magnet programs so parents have more choice options.