Five Star District residents may request to change their current boundary/assigned school during the school year by using the transfer process. There are no guarantees that transfer requests will be approved. (Transfers are not for out-of-district residents. The only way they can attend Adams 12 Five Star Schools is through the Schools of Choice Program.) There are three different circumstances in which transfers can be considered.
- Family-initiated transfer request
- Administrator-initiated transfer request
- A student who has been a victim of a crime of violence, as defined by state law.
Family-Initiated Transfer Requests Procedure
- A written request must be submitted to the principal of the school in the attendance area where the student resides (boundary school) or the student’s assigned school (if they are attending a school other than their boundary school). This written request will include a transfer application as well as a letter from the parent/guardian explaining:
- Why the transfer request is for the good and just cause based on the unique educational needs of the student (or)
- How the transfer request would meet the unique program or course needs of the student.
- The boundary/assigned school principal will consider the request to determine whether it meets the criteria for a transfer request. There are no guarantees that requests will be approved.
- If the transfer request meets the criteria, the boundary/assigned school principal will then confer with the principal of the requested school, who will make an independent determination based upon the criteria for transfer and space available. There are no guarantees that requests will be approved.
- If either the boundary/assigned school principal or the requested school principal deny the request, the transfer will be denied.
- Transfer requests, including the parent’s letter, approved by both principals must be submitted to the Superintendent’s designee for final approval.
- In general, students whose transfer requests are approved will be admitted to the new school only at the quarter, trimester or semester grading periods at the discretion of the receiving school principal.
- Transfer requests, if approved, are only valid for one year and parents/guardians must provide their own transportation for the student. The only exception to this is if the student is applying to transfer back to their boundary school. In this case, the transfer is valid through the highest grade level that the school serves and if the student resides in the transportation area they are eligible.
For the most part, transfer requests are not accepted for magnet schools as they have wait lists from the Choice process. However, in some cases there may be space available at a magnet for a transfer student.
The procedures for an administrator-initiated transfer and for a student that has been a victim of a crime of violence are handled through specific guidelines in the transfer policy.
Transfer requests, if approved, are only valid for one year and parents/guardians must provide their own transportation for the student. The only exception to this is if the student is applying to transfer back to their boundary school. In this case, the transfer is valid through the grade-level that the school serves and if the student resides in the transportation area they are eligible.
Elementary and middle school attendance boundaries have been announced for the new Thunder Vista P-8 school. The new school, scheduled to open in Fall 2018, is being built in the Anthem community of Broomfield.
The new boundaries set designated attendance areas for students who will attend the new school and also includes some smaller boundary changes to existing school boundaries in ...