During the 2017-2018 school year, over 7,000 parents, student, staff and community members from across the Five Star community came together to create a new strategic plan called ELEVATE. Building on recent success, we collectively developed a plan that will continue to elevate student success for years to come. Read about the journey: English | Spanish
In its commitment to “move from steps to strides”, the Adams 12 Five Star Schools Board of Education prioritized a series of investments aligned to ELEVATE, into a local funding initiative, mill levy override 5C. Thanks to the support of the Five Star community, the mill levy override was passed on November 6, 2018. The Ballot Issue represents a $27 million funding measure to jump-start priorities identified through ELEVATE.
In order to build trust and transparency, the Five Star District is creating a Mill Levy Override Oversight Committee (MLOC) to ensure the new funding is appropriately spent.
The MLOC shall fulfill its financial oversight responsibilities by reviewing:
- Financial information provided by the District regarding spending of Mill Levy Override funds.
- The District’s budgeting process and assumptions for Mill Levy Override funds.
- The financial data provided by the District’s charter schools regarding their spending of Mill Levy Override funds.
- Serve as an independent and objective party to monitor the District’s use of Mill Levy Override funds in comparison to requirements set out in ballot language.
- MLOC will update the superintendent and the board of education annually.
- The MLOC shall be comprised of fifteen members.
- Membership will be determined and maintained by an annual application process. It is preferred that members serve for multiple years.
- Membership makeup will ensure preference is given to residents of the Adams 12 Five Star Schools boundary from a geographically diverse representation.
- Members of current district committees can apply and be considered for MLOC.
- The MLOC will meet two times per school year - on the first Thursday of December and the first Thursday of May.
- Meetings will be held during the work day. Time TBD.
- Each member of the MLOC is expected to attend every meeting.
Applications for the 2019-20 school year are now open. Apply now.
Spots are limited. Acceptance is based on spots available (depending on seats that become available based on former members leaving and adhering to the guidelines above), quality of application form and a diverse geographical representation of the district. For questions, please contact Mark Poshak.