The Before and After School Enrichment (BASE) Programs are designed to provide safe, quality, affordable group care in the school setting; whereby each individual child is enriched with various experiences conducive to their academic, social, and physical development.
History of BASE
The after school programs were initiated by working parents of elementary aged children. It was their feeling that this type of program would best serve their needs and the needs of their children. The phenomenon swept the country and now there are programs established across the nation. Many programs have expanded to include before school, after school, vacations, and summer programs.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools implemented the group care programs in the mid 1980s, as the District and the community saw the need for programs to be offered. The programs were set up geographically and offered to all students of Adams 12 Five Star Schools. The programs have grown and are now offered in nearly all of the District's elementary schools.
- BASE services will be convenient, affordable, and responsive to community needs.
- BASE will be committed to hire and continually train quality staff, who work directly with children, building strong and positive relationships in a safe and caring environment.
- BASE will support the educational goals of the District by having students engage in age appropriate reading, writing and mathematics activities several times a week.
- BASE will provide a variety of age appropriate recreational enrichment activities for children.
- BASE will be self-supporting.
- BASE will strive to establish a cooperative environment where children learn social skills, develop their character and self-esteem, learn to appreciate diversity, become leaders, and have fun!