Horizon High School
Planning/Design - Now the fun begins! Adams 12 Five Star Schools' business services team, in collaboration with the school community, are planning and designing the logistics for the individual projects of your school's investment plan.
The 2016 Bond Program provides every school with funding for needed building improvements. Horizon High School has been identified to receive $6.4 to $7.5 million in improvements and upgrades over a two-year timeframe with the majority of work happening in Summer 2018 and Summer 2019. LOA Architecture was selected in Summer 2017 to lead the design work for these improvements. The architect, along with school staff and appointed Design Advisory Group, has begun to develop the plan for the renovation work that will occur at the school. The Design Advisory Group is a small group of school staff members, parents and community members who help the architectural team define the scope of proposed renovations. DAG members, as users of the facility, provide critical feedback and input that help the architects design changes that meet user needs. Mark Young Construction was selected as the general contractor for this project in Fall 2017.
2018: Proposed work identified below in building structure, building interiors, building systems/safety & security, and renovations & remodels
2019: Proposed work identified below in building structure, building interiors, building systems/safety & security, and renovations & remodels as well as turf work listed below in school grounds
*Timeline for Instructional Upgrades is dependent on the specific upgrades selected by our school community. More information to follow.
Architect: LOA Architecture
Construction Manager/General Contractor: Mark Young Construction
- Repair building structure and systems in the crawlspace
- Replace access stairs and ramps to mobile classrooms
- Repair, patch and paint exterior doors and windows to extend service life
- Replace failing flooring in critical locations
Building Systems / Safety & Security
- Move electrical service from irrigation pit for safety
- Upgrade heating and cooling systems for efficiency and more consistent temperature control for comfort
- Upgrade emergency response system
- Improve security camera system
- Upgrade one existing field to artificial turf for increased student use and decreased water and maintenance requirements.
Renovations & Remodels
- Remodel priority items, such as ceilings, walls, floors, windows, doors, painting upgrades, paving restoration, lunch rooms, classrooms and bathrooms *Significant Renovation
- Repair or replace arts program items such as easels, pottery wheels, kilns, drafting/drawing stools, airbrush stations, group work stations and A/V systems
- Repair or replace theater and music program items such as instrument storage, practice rooms, risers & platforms, acoustic enhancements, auditorium components and A/V systems
- Significant renovations to Five Star Stadium to address safety and ADA accessiblity impacting all high schools
- Each school is provided with funding for instructional upgrades that will be determined through a collaborative process with the school and community. Categories can include furniture, technology, space modifications, safety & security upgrades and specials/electives.