District Athletic Trainers
In 2010, Children’s Hospital Colorado and Adams 12 Five Star Schools formed a partnership to preserve the health and wellness of the district’s high school athletes. As a result, Sports Medicine Center at Children’s Hospital Colorado now staffs each high school’s training room with a certified athletic trainer who provides coverage of all athletic practices and home varsity events. In addition, Children’s Hospital Colorado also provides a physician at all home varsity football games, wrestling weight certifications, and various tournaments. Physicians also visit high schools weekly for as needed consultations.
Certified Athletic Trainers Provide the Following Services
- Daily medical coverage, injury evaluations/management for all Five Star Schools athletes
- Concussion management
- Liaisons to assigned team physicians for each school
- Free injury assessments and recommendations for follow–up care
- Fast track emergency room care
- First aid & implementation of emergency protocols at each high school
- Annual athletic physicals (CAPS)
- Education and instruction for student athletes, coaches and parents
- Student education in sports medicine career paths
- Medical coverage available for summer camps upon request
In addition to clinical care, Children’s Hospital Colorado will provide Comprehensive Athletic Physicals (CAPS) free of charge for the district’s high school students. Children’s Colorado also offers ongoing educational seminars for parents and coaches on sports medicine, sports nutrition and concussion topics.
The Sports Medicine Center is housed within Children’s Hospital Colorado's Orthopedics Institute, recognized as one of the top 10 pediatric orthopedic programs in the country by U.S. News and World Report. Its team includes several sports medicine specialists who are specially trained and qualified to care for young competitive athletes, as well as pediatric rehabilitation medicine, physical therapy, orthopedic and orthopedic surgery specialists. Through the Sports Medicine Center at Children’s Hospital Colorado, children and teens also gain direct access to all of the pediatric experts and resources available through Children’s Colorado, including its Concussion Program.
Our relationship with the Children's Hospital keeps student athletes in the Five Star District healthy to play the sports they love.